Monday, December 2, 2013

A Soldier too soon.

I have never personally met Michael Ollis, but I feel I knew him. I am friends with his mother, and have met his father. Linda has shared stories and pictures of Michael since his enlistment in the Army. From stories it's easy to understand why Michael did what he did to protect not only his Unit, but the life of a Polish Soldier as well. 

Michael showed great character in helping and protecting the people around him. After Michael made sure his Unit was safe, he went and brought the fight to the attackers. As most of the enemy were killed, a suicide bomber detonated the explosive strapped to his vest while standing near a Polish Soldier. 

Although wounded, the Polish Soldier had survived because Michael Ollis stepped in front of him during the explosion. It was heart-breaking to hear the news, that at age 24, Michael had selflessly died saving the Polish Soldier's life. I may not have met Michael, but I come from a Military family and any loss is a tragedy.

Thanks to Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment